Experimental units are the biggest, strongest and most effective units in Supreme Commander. They play a very large part in the appeal to the game, giving players the possibility of creating weapons to crush opposing armies, on a scale they had never before seen.
They are incredibly powerful, and most have a mix of abilities that make them even more effective on the battlefield. Each faction has three experimental units, and they constitute some of the major faction differences. The Forged Alliance expansion adds one experimental unit to each faction, plus the three Seraphim ones.
Experimental units are often considered "Tech 4". They are constructed not by factories but by tech 3 engineers, SCUs, and upgraded ACUs. The resource requirements for experimental units are extreme, so there must be a robust economy available to support the construction. They also take so much time to construct that a single engineer should never be used to construct them. Instead, as large a group as possible should be used to accelerate the construction.
With the release of Forged Alliance, their cost and construction time have been greatly reduced, allowing for easier deployment. As a counter part to this, their power was reduced, not making them the all mighty they used to be. While they can still wreak havoc and destruction, a well defended base, or a large amount of tech 3 units can stop them.
Although experimental units are much more powerful than most units, a common mistake is to overestimate their power. Sending one alone against a well defended enemy base is almost guaranteed to fail, as the unit will probably be destroyed shortly after reaching said base. This is especially true of Monkeylords. However, sending 2 or 3 of such units at once can create a force that even the best defended bases will have trouble stopping. Never overestimate your experimental units, escort them with anti air, and you will probably never fail to destroy your target.
List of experimental units Edit
- Experimental Mobile Factory: Fatboy, a mobile fire base.
- Experimental Aircraft Carrier: Atlantis, a submersible aircraft carrier, with devastating torpedo and anti-air weaponry.
- Experimental Strategic Artillery: Mavor, a powerful artillery piece that can hit anything on the map.
- Experimental Satellite System: Novax Center and its Defense Satellite, an invulnerable orbital beam weapon.
- Experimental Mobile Rapid-Fire Artillery: Scathis, a mobile artillery weapon, with low accuracy but massive damage radius
- Experimental Spiderbot: Monkeylord, a spider-like weapon, featured in the E32006 trailer. Can hide from radar and fires a massive Heavy Microwave Laser
- Experimental Megabot: Megalith, a crab like weapon, extremely resilient, and as dangerous in the water as out.
- Experimental Gunship: Soul Ripper, a gunship overloaded with weaponry
- Experimental Sacred Assault Bot: Galactic Colossus, a humanoid like giant robot, with a single Phason Laser that fires from its eye. It also has tractor beam claws.
- Experimental Aircraft Carrier: CZAR, a giant flying saucer, that can transport and build units, and fires the Quantum Beam Generator, obliterating anything underneath.
- Experimental Submersible: Tempest, a submersible naval fire base, equipped with a single over sized Oblivion Cannon.
- Experimental Resource Generator: Paragon, a near infinite resource generator.
- Experimental Missile Launcher: Yolona Oss, a nuclear missile launcher that can wipe out the largest of bases in a single shot.
- Experimental Bomber: Ahwassa, its bombs can destroy entire armies.
- Experimental Assault Bot: Ythotha, a giant robot equipped with several unstable experimental weapons which when destroyed releases an Unidentified Residual Energy Signature: Othuy, a highly destructive orb of lightning energy.
Game ender Edit
Some of these units are so powerful, the game is essentially finished if one is successfully constructed. For example: The Mavor Experimental Artillery. See the game ender article for more details.
See also Edit
See details about a specific unit at experimental units category using the Unit Navigational Box at the top of the page, or just by clicking the corresponding link.